What Happens If Something Breaks During The Move?

Insurance by Nick Youngson CC BY-SA 3.0 Alpha Stock Images

One of the easiest ways to tell if a mover is not quite legit is if they advertise themselves as perfect. Even the most organized, experienced movers are human, and sometimes there are damages. So, what happens if something is damaged? Is it possible to have that item replaced?

Do Movers Offer Insurance?

Many, if not most, moving customers expect that full replacement value insurance comes with each and every move. Unfortunately, this isn’t the case. Think of it this way: A moving company is very similar to the Post Office, FedEx, and pretty much every other shipping company. Each of them offers a certain level of coverage. The Post Office, for example, offers up to $100 per package at no charge, regardless of what’s inside. In other words, if you are shipping a diamond ring, and it gets lost, you would get just $100. If you ship a cubic zirconia ring instead, you would get that same $100.

Federal and California law both mandate that movers are liable for just $.60 per pound per article. If, for example, a 100 pound bookcase is damaged, you would receive just $60.00 from the mover.

For some moves, that might be enough. For most, it’s probably not.

Will My Homeowner’s Insurance Cover the Move?

In most cases, moves are not covered under a homeowner’s or renter’s policy, but you can purchase a rider specifically for the move from most insurance companies. If you are moving your goods into storage, your current policy will probably cover the items while they are in storage, but not on the way to storage or on the way back to you. Of course, before taking our word for it, contact your insurance company.

Can I Purchase Full Coverage Insurance?

Ninja Movers works with a company called Baker International, which specializes in moving insurance. They have been in business for more than 25 years, and are underwritten by A++ insurance carriers. Full coverage insurance policies start at about 1% of the chosen value, depending on the deductible.

What If I Don’t Want to Buy Insurance?

Not buying insurance is your right, but know that you will only be covered for $.60 per pound per article. If you want to file a claim for your $.60 per pound per article, contact Anthem Claims Management online, or call them at (623) 551-5983. If you feel you need arbitration, you can call (623) 237-2355.

Is My Home Covered?

Movers’ $.60 per pound per article liability does not cover items that are not being moved, which includes your home and yard. Contact your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance carrier before the move to make sure your policy covers any damages to the property.