Tips to Make Your New Home Yours
You’ve moved into your new home. Every item is in its proper place, but still, everything looks out of place. Everything you own fit so well in your old home, but now? Everything looks okay, but it’s just not you. Your first instinct might be to start fresh – buy new furniture and accessories. If that’s in the budget, do it, but if you are simply looking to make your new environment seem like home, you can do it on the cheap.
1. Paint – Before a home is sold, most real estate agents and stagers recommend painting all walls in a neutral color. Neutrals are inoffensive to potential buyers but do you really feel that all those shades of white and light beige bring out your dynamic personality? Paints are being made better and better every day. The days of having to use a primer and two coats are gone. Some paints have primer built right in and some eliminate the need for a second coat altogether. Even tape is being made more user friendly. The great thing about color is that right now, anything goes. House Beautiful has some great tips on choosing color based on your personality. And if you like the idea of neutral, they even have some tips on choosing the right one.
2. Accessorize – Why buy a new sofa when a couple of throw pillows will change its look? Why buy a new bed when a beautiful fabric draped over the headboard will make it pop? Buy some flowering houseplants for extra color.
3. Landscape – Okay, landscaping can be an expensive and time consuming process, but there are many changes you can make on the cheap and on the quick. A few new flowering plants and a stone path might be all that’s needed to send a warm welcome to your new neighbors. Here are some tips to inexpensively turn your new yard into your yard.
4. Change the hardware – New kitchen and bath drawer pulls and cabinet nobs can make your rooms feel almost renovated.
5. Decorate your walls – Every piece of art doesn’t have to be an original and every original doesn’t have to be a Monet. Sometimes, it’s fun to make your own. Buzzfeed has some really great ideas for DIY.
Now that your new home looks like you, it’s time to really make it you. Warm your bathrobe in the dryer. Pour a glass of wine and take a long, hot bath. You’ll feel like you’re at home in no time.